Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer

Carbon monoxide is especially dangerous because it is not easily detected. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often mistaken for common illnesses such as headaches, the common cold, nausea, fatigue, depression, or worse.

carbon-monoxide

Carbon monoxide detectors are now readily available and no home should be without at least two of them: One on each level of the house and another near the sleeping area of the home. Detectors are NOT a substitute for routine maintenance, but can be a lifesaver should problems occur.
Carbon monoxide problems are often caused by poor ventilation, and blocked chimneys are one of the largest single causes of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home.

A minimum of 119 deaths from carbon monoxide and at least 4,700 “injuries” were reported between 2008-2010, though most estimates range much higher. For example, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 200 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by problems with the their home’s external venting systems.
The Journal of the American Medical Association estimates that 1,600 people die each year from toxic fumes. Another 10,000 cases of carbon monoxide-related injuries are diagnosed each year. The difficulty of diagnosis also means the numbers of people affected is probably even higher. And though no new government study has been published since then, because of the new more highly efficient heating systems, we believe these figures are much, much higher today. While these are tragic statistics, they can be avoided.
Service from a skilled chimney sweep can go a long way in preventing these from everoccurring.

Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector

A carbon monoxide detector (that is checked at least 4 x per year) can warn homeowners if the deadly gas has already entered the living area, but an annual chimney inspection can help prevent carbon monoxide from entering the home in the first place.

Call the Chimney Department, Ltd. today if you have questions regarding Carbon Monoxide or if you think you may have a Carbon Monoxide problem in your home